Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Blog the Blogger: The President Wears Prada



Not really. I mean, not to my knowledge, he does. But it makes for a great blog name. The President Wears Prada is "to stripping away your khakis and striped pant suits (literally and figuratively) to reveal DC's true street style." The DCGF learned of this blog when TPWP sent me pics of this boy's blazer from Goodwill (right) worn in a smashingly chic outfit. Gotta love that.

And she has a penchant for picking out the odd and even ugly in fashion and somehow figuring out a way for it to make sense in real life. That's a true talent. Forthwith, her responses
to the DCGF's soon-to-be Famous Five (plus One) questions...

1. What is the first article of clothing you remember that you loved to wear? A purple velvet dress with ruffled cap sleeves and a little white apron that was sewn and hand painted by my aunt. She's the sweetest thing in the world, and still tailors a very large percentage of my wardrobe (like the XXL pink
polka-dot dress from Goodwill that she just turned into a mini dress today :) )

2. Where is your favorite place - besides Goodwill, of course! - to shop for a fashion bargain in the DC area? The flea market at Eastern Market, specially during really cold winter months really early in the morning when no reasonable person except for me wants to be there.

3. Where is your favorite place to shop for a fashion bargain outside of DC? Beacon's Closet, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I could spend an entire day in there, I probably already have...

4. Who is your current favorite designer? Phillip Lim for his impeccable details.

5. If you could own any single item from fashion past or present - money is no object! - what would it be? A 1960s YSL "Smoking" suit (like the one in
Helmut Newton's 1975 photo of Yves St. Laurent's "Le Smoking", left), because it represents the birth of androgyny and because I'm in love with Yves.

Bonus Question: How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop? Well... I am a scientist in my other life, so I have to give you an equation. The diameter of an average Tootsie Pop lets say is 3cm so the volume is 23cm^3 and the volume of the tootsie center is 2cm^3, so that's 21cm^3 of just candy. I would say that a layer of candy is 1/4 a millimeter and that you can lick a layer off with 3 licks, so 21cm^3 / ((0.025cm^3) * 3) = 280 licks to the center :)

Wow. A plausibly realistic answer to the bonus question. I'm not sure what to say, other than that I'm totally impressed, TPWP! A fashionista and a scientist. Perhaps you can explain, then, the chemical reaction that occurs in my brain every time I see a great pair of shoes on sale that I just can't resist buying? It's not me, it's science.




Any purchase made at a Goodwill Retail Store or on eBay funds Goodwill's mission of training and employment programs for people with disadvantages or disabilities.

No comments: