Thursday, May 1, 2008

Apparel Manufacturing in New Jersey



You need a license to manufacture sewn products in three US states; NY, CA and NJ. I wrote about New York and California (twice) before but finding the information for licensing in NJ has been a real pickle. None of my search terms turned up anything. However, I thought to search my desktop just certain I'd come across it before and sure enough, I found a pdf of the license application. From the title of the document, I was finally able to find the information on the state of NJ website.



Penalties:

Other than the obvious -"Contracting for the performance of an apparel industry service with a manufacturer or contractor who is known to have failed to register or renew its registration, or whose registration has been revoked"- constitutes a violation. In other words, you are required to check whether someone has a license and that they are in good standing. Similarly (as I've said ad nauseum) you are legally a manufacturer even if you don't own a single sewing machine. If you're looking for a "manufacturer" to produce your products, that means you're looking for a competitor and why would you do that?



In assessing penalties, the NJ law goes one step further than NY and CA. The latter two states will confiscate finished goods from those deemed to be in violation of the law. NJ will confiscate "any partially or completely assembled articles of apparel and any equipment used in the assembly of apparel from any manufacturer or contractor. Ouch! Bye bye sewing machines.



No comments: